Basic Fodder School Supplies
Here is a basic tool kit that most mixed media artists have in their possession.
It isn’t necessary to purchase complete sets of anything. If you have access to a traditional art store that sells open stock of art supplies, selecting your favorite colors and purchasing only those is the way to go.
As always, use what you have. We recommend waiting to see how the instructor uses a supply before you invest a substantial amount of money into any one supply. You may realize that you already own something that will be a great substitute for what the instructor is using and that you didn’t need to purchase something new.
This is only a list of the basic supplies. Prior to each month's lessons, the instructors will be providing materials lists specific to their lessons.
Clickable Amazon links are provided as a reference if you are unsure of what a particular item is, not because those particular brands, items or quantities/sizes are necessary to complete Fodder School.
- Waterproof black ink. Examples are Higgins Black Magic, Sumi Ink or India Ink (must say “waterproof”)
- Mark making implements-pens, pencils and crayons
- Caran D’Ache Neocolor II Aquarelle “crayons” in your favorite colors or any other water soluble colored mark making pencil/crayons like DIna Wakley Scribble Sticks or Stabilo Woodies.
- Stabilo all pencil-black
- Paint pens like Posca pens
- China markers-black and white
- Magic markers-examples are Tombow dual brush pens or Faber-Castell Pitt pens (brush tip)
- Fluid Matte Medium like Liquitex Matte Medium
- Gel Matte Medium - heavy body or regular gel matte medium
- Glue Stick-Uhu or other quality brand
- Makeup sponges/wedges (white triangles)
- Stencils-your favorites
- Rubber stamps-your favorites
- Instant Coffee
- Acrylic paint - minimum 3 colors plus black and white. Does not need to be highest quality artist paint.
- White gesso
- Watercolor paint-pans or tubes
- Paint brushes for Watercolor and Acrylic
- Gelli Plate
- White Paper-Sulphite paper is a great choice
- Other paper (see orientation videos)
- Basic bookbinding kit-including bookbinding awl, bookbinding needle, waxed thread